Montag, 3. März 2014

Propagating Seeds

It is beginning of march, time to propagate my nightshade seeds (and a few others)
Last year I compared Seramis to potting soil and found that the seeds germinated faster and better in Seramis but that the little plants developed better in soil.




This year I mixed Seramis and potting soil and added a small layer of organic tomato soil on the bottom of the pots.
There will also be a comparison experiment again. I've sawn all seeds twice, once in the mixture described above and then again in coconut coir tablets.
The tablets need to be soaked in warm water and almost quadruple in size. In the middle they have a small recess, where the seed needs to be put before you cover it with a little bit of the substrate.

To label the seeds, I gave every kind of seed a number that I noted in a list. The plant labels only got the numbers on them. Additionally I made a table where I noted the position of each seed. Later on I transcribed the table onto the computer in case anything happens to my handwritten notes.
I wasn't able to put labels into the coconut coir, therefore the table is the only way to know what is what. Given that I left out a row at one end of the seed tray, it wasn't necessary to mark the orientation on the tray.
Due to space issues there are 66 coconut coir tablets (72 would fit into the tray) but only 60 pots of Seramis-Soil-Mixture. The additional coconut coir has Ocra seeds only.



So what did I plant?
4 kinds of Physalis and 2 kinds of Tomatillo
6 Eggplant varieties
7 Sweet Pepper varieties
30 Tomato varieties
Litchitomato, Jaltomato, Tamarillo and Malabar Spinach
3 kinds of Passiflora
as well as some Ocra seeds

Come April, I will plant my Cucurbitaceae.

Now I'm curious how fast everything will germinate and grow.

Our new propagation shelf is equipped with two cold white daylight fluorescent lamps as well as one special plant fluorescent lamp to get the best light for our seedlings. It is also possible to change the height of the individual case boards, in case that the seedlings need more or less light.







Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen